Chimney fire damages roof of home north of Kendall

Posted by CALEB HUTTON on April 1, 2014 

KENDALL — What started as a chimney fire led to $10,000 to $20,000 in damage to a mobile home's roof Tuesday afternoon, April 1, in the Paradise area.

Flames spread to the roof of the home around 1:45 p.m. in the 6300 block of Blackfoot Place, said Fire District 14 Chief Jerry DeBruin.

Here's the news feed as it happened from @bhamcrime.

All of the cats and dogs made it outside OK.

Deputies were called to keep the peace because the residents, a husband and wife, weren't happy that firefighters had to cut into the roof to put extinguish lingering flames and heat, DeBruin said.

After repairs the home should be livable.

Firefighters found a lot of buildup in the chimney. If you have a home with a wood furnace, DeBruin said, it's a good idea to clean out the creososte starting in the fall, especially if you're using damp firewood.


View Larger Map

Bellingham Herald is pleased to provide this opportunity to share information, experiences and observations about what's in the news. Some of the comments may be reprinted elsewhere in the site or in the newspaper. We encourage lively, open debate on the issues of the day, and ask that you refrain from profanity, hate speech, personal comments and remarks that are off point. Thank you for taking the time to offer your thoughts.

Commenting FAQs | Terms of Service

Top Jobs

View All Top Jobs

Find a Home

$429,000 Bellingham
4 bed, 3 full bath, 1 half bath. Beautiful, spacious 3100sqft...

Find a Car

Search New Cars