Mudflow, landslide damage may not be covered by standard homeowners insurance


There may be further bad news awaiting victims of Saturday’s landslide near Oso.

Their homeowners insurance will likely not cover the loss of their homes and belongings.

The NW Insurance Council on Monday released a statement reminding home and business owners “to consider special coverage for landslide and mudflow damage. Homeowners who purchased additional landslide insurance prior to the slide will have coverage to rebuild their homes.”

The scope of the damage “highlights the need for special insurance if you own property above or below a steep slope,” said Karl Newman, council president.

“Property owners in high-risk areas need special coverage that is not included in a standard home or business insurance policy,” he said.

“The good news is that coverage is available through specialty carriers at an additional cost.”

Newman noted that homeowners can purchase a “Difference in Conditions” policy that includes coverage for landslide, mudflow, earthquake and flood damage.

He estimated that a homeowner with a $300,000 house can expect to pay $1,000 or more for annual coverage.

The council offers information concerning disaster preparedness at

Bellingham Herald is pleased to provide this opportunity to share information, experiences and observations about what's in the news. Some of the comments may be reprinted elsewhere in the site or in the newspaper. We encourage lively, open debate on the issues of the day, and ask that you refrain from profanity, hate speech, personal comments and remarks that are off point. Thank you for taking the time to offer your thoughts.

Commenting FAQs | Terms of Service