Bellingham apartment fire displaces 3 people, cat


BELLINGHAM - A kitchen fire in a top floor apartment left three people and a pet cat without housing Saturday, March 22, according to fire officials.

No one was home when one of the residents returned around 10:30 a.m. to find smoke in the unit at Brookside Apartments, located at 2239 Woburn St., Bellingham Fire Department Battalion Chief Andy Day said.

The resident quickly worked with people from other units to use a fire extinguisher and throw water on the fire before firefighters got to the scene around 10:41 a.m., Day said.

"We got there and fire had spread into the attic area," Day said. "We got that knocked down, but there was extensive heat and smoke damage to the structure."

Three engines, a ladder truck, a medic unit and two supervisors worked on the fire. The first firefighters on scene used pressurized water extinguishers to knock down the fire, Day said.

While working, fire personnel found a cat in the residence, which they quickly resuscitated, Day said. The animal seemed to be doing well Saturday afternoon.

"The fire appears to be accidental," Day said. "It originated in the kitchen area, but we were unable to determine the exact cause."

The Mount Baker chapter of the Red Cross will assist the residents with temporary housing, Day said.

"Heat and smoke damage was extensive throughout the unit," he said. "It was on its way to becoming a full-blown fire."

No one else was displaced by the fire.

Bellingham Herald is pleased to provide this opportunity to share information, experiences and observations about what's in the news. Some of the comments may be reprinted elsewhere in the site or in the newspaper. We encourage lively, open debate on the issues of the day, and ask that you refrain from profanity, hate speech, personal comments and remarks that are off point. Thank you for taking the time to offer your thoughts.

Commenting FAQs | Terms of Service