Bellingham man arrested after doctors say baby's broken leg wasn't accidental

THE BELLINGHAM HERALDMarch 17, 2014 

BELLINGHAM - A Bellingham man was arrested earlier this month after doctors determined that the injuries to his 1-month son were not accidental, according to the Whatcom County Sheriff's Office.

The same man was questioned by Skagit County Sheriff's Office in a 2008 case where a 3-month-old child was injured, but it was ultimately determined an accident. Skagit County has now reopened that case, Whatcom County Undersheriff Jeff Parks said,

In the latest case, Gilberto Eduardo Perez and his wife brought their infant son into the hospital with a broken femur on March 10, Parks said. They claimed the injuries were accidental.

Attending physicians noted that the nature of the injury would require significant force, as though someone violently pulled on the child's leg, Parks said. They determined the injury could not have been accidental and notified law enforcement, Parks said.

Perez was booked into Whatcom County Jail on March 11 on suspicion of first-degree assault of a child and an unrelated warrant for first-degree driving with a suspended license. He was still in custody Monday on $25,000 bail. Perez's arraignment is scheduled for March 21. His wife was not arrested.

This crime carries a maximum sentence of 20 years to life in prison and a $50,000 fine, according to court documents.

Parks didn't know if the child is in protective custody.

Reach James Kozanitis at 360-715-2249 or james.kozanitis@bellinghamherald.com.

Bellingham Herald is pleased to provide this opportunity to share information, experiences and observations about what's in the news. Some of the comments may be reprinted elsewhere in the site or in the newspaper. We encourage lively, open debate on the issues of the day, and ask that you refrain from profanity, hate speech, personal comments and remarks that are off point. Thank you for taking the time to offer your thoughts.

Commenting FAQs | Terms of Service