Police: Bellingham man arrested after punching infant, ex-girlfriend

THE BELLINGHAM HERALDMarch 17, 2014 

BELLINGHAM - Police arrested a 21-year-old man Saturday, March 15, after a witness told police that he punched his ex-girlfriend and their 3-week-old child.

The man, Bellingham resident Diego-Miguel Antonio Castro, had previously been sentenced to 34 months in prison for a 2011 gang-related drive-by shooting on Texas Street. He was released into community custody on March 18, 2013, according to court documents.

A roommate of the victim in the 3400 block of Woburn Street called police about 9 p.m. Saturday to report a domestic disturbance. When police arrived, they overheard a loud argument in the apartment, Lt. Bob Vander Yacht said.

The victim told police that Castro punched their child and also punched her several times. Police saw a mark on the victim's face consistent with being punched and a red mark above the child's left eye. The child was not seriously injured, Vander Yacht said.

Before the attack, the victim and the roommate both received text messages from Castro threatening to kill them and their families, Vander Yacht said.

Police booked Castro into Whatcom County Jail on suspicion of violating a domestic violence no-contact order, fourth-degree assault and felony harassment, according to jail records.

The five-year no-contact order was issued after a domestic violence incident in October 2013, according to Bellingham Municipal Court records. Castro was arrested Oct. 5 after assaulting the victim while she was still pregnant with their child. He pleaded guilty on Oct. 24 and was released from jail on Jan. 9, according to court documents.

After the drive-by shooting, Castro identified himself to police as a member of the Brown Pride Surenos gang, according to court documents. Castro had driven fellow gang members to the location of members of the Bonsallo Locos Surenos with the intention to fight, he told police.

When Bonsallo Locos members pulled out guns, Castro and passengers of the vehicle responded with gunfire of their own, according to court documents.

No one was hit by the gunfire.

Reach James Kozanitis at James.Kozanitis@bellinghamherald.com or 360-715-2249.

Bellingham Herald is pleased to provide this opportunity to share information, experiences and observations about what's in the news. Some of the comments may be reprinted elsewhere in the site or in the newspaper. We encourage lively, open debate on the issues of the day, and ask that you refrain from profanity, hate speech, personal comments and remarks that are off point. Thank you for taking the time to offer your thoughts.

Commenting FAQs | Terms of Service