Small chimney fire causes minor damage to Whatcom County home

Posted by SAMANTHA WOHLFEIL on March 1, 2014 

Firefighters helped put out a small chimney fire that spread to the roof of a home in the 4200 block of Linnell Road just before noon Saturday, March 1.

Before fire personnel arrived, the lone resident, an older woman, sprayed the fire with a garden hose with the help of a man who was near the home, which is located about a mile east of Everybody's Store, District 16 Chief Elvin Kalsbeek said. The two had mostly controlled the fire by the time firefighters arrived.

No one was injured.

It appeared a hot fire in the stove spread to the roof through a "really old" chimney pipe, Kalsbeek said.

Four rigs responded to the scene, which was first reported as a more serious structure fire, Kalsbeek said. It turned out most of that help was not needed.

"We made sure (the fire) was out and put a tarp over the hole in the roof," Kalsbeek said.

The damage was relatively minor: Kalsbeek estimated it might take about $1,500 to patch the roof.

Bellingham Herald is pleased to provide this opportunity to share information, experiences and observations about what's in the news. Some of the comments may be reprinted elsewhere in the site or in the newspaper. We encourage lively, open debate on the issues of the day, and ask that you refrain from profanity, hate speech, personal comments and remarks that are off point. Thank you for taking the time to offer your thoughts.

Commenting FAQs | Terms of Service