Fire damages garage in Bellingham's Roosevelt area

THE BELLINGHAM HERALDFebruary 14, 2014 

BELLINGHAM - A fire in a Roosevelt neighborhood garage early Friday, Feb. 14, displaced two residents and caused about $40,000 of damage.

Two residents of the house on the 2500 block of Toledo Street woke up to the sound of popping and their dog barking, Bellingham interim Fire Chief Bill Newbold said. They were able to see the fire in their garage and called it in about 2 a.m.

There was minimal fire damage to the house, but smoke did damage the inside, so the residents decided not to stay there.

The fire was ruled accidental, Newbold said, and is believe to have been caused by some sort of electrical problem with a car parked in the garage. The car was a total loss, but the firefighters contained the fire to the garage and extinguished it within five minutes. Neither resident was hurt.

Reach James Kozanitis at 360-715-2249 or james.kozanitis@bellinghamherald.com.

Bellingham Herald is pleased to provide this opportunity to share information, experiences and observations about what's in the news. Some of the comments may be reprinted elsewhere in the site or in the newspaper. We encourage lively, open debate on the issues of the day, and ask that you refrain from profanity, hate speech, personal comments and remarks that are off point. Thank you for taking the time to offer your thoughts.

Commenting FAQs | Terms of Service