Ex-Marine stabs two men in rage at Alabama Street home


BELLINGHAM - For the second time in two weeks, a former U.S. Marine suffering from post-traumatic stress disorder was arrested in a violent episode after stabbing two men in the common area of their home Saturday, Feb. 8, according to police.

Police say Jonathan L. Pablik, 24, stabbed two men, ages 63 and 53, in an unprovoked rage around 5 p.m. Saturday while the men were playing a dice game and "minding their own business" at their home in the 1800 block of Alabama Street, Bellingham Police Lt. Bob Vander Yacht said.

It was not known if Pablik also lives in the home, which is rented by the room and has shared common areas.

The 63-year-old victim suffered critical chest injuries and remained in surgery Saturday night, but doctors at St. Joseph hospital were hopeful he would pull through, Vander Yacht said. Doctors also expected the 53-year-old victim, who had injuries to his head and neck, to recover, but he remained in the intensive care unit Saturday night, Vander Yacht said.

Other male residents at the home pinned Pablik to the ground after the attack so he could not harm anyone else or himself, Vander Yacht said.

Pablik still had the knife that was used to stab the two victims when officers arrived, but they were able to get it from him without much of a struggle, Vander Yacht said. He was treated for minor injuries at the hospital and released to police Saturday evening, Vander Yacht said.

Police interviewed Pablik about the incident Saturday night and planned to book him into Whatcom County Jail on suspicion of two counts of second-degree attempted murder, Vander Yacht said.

On Jan. 26, Pablik was booked into jail on suspicion of walking up to a man sitting on his porch in the 2500 block of Queen Street, asking him what time it was, and punching him in the face. It was not known what the conditions of his release from jail in that case were as of Saturday night.

Pablik, who grew up in California, served in the Marines Corps until 2011. He came home from Afghanistan after his Humvee was hit by rocket fire, and he has since been diagnosed with PTSD, according to his family. Police said he appeared to be having a "severe" episode Sunday.

Last year Pablik set out on what he called a personal journey in the Pacific Northwest. He went missing in the Seattle area in May 2013, prompting his mother to ask the public for help finding him.

KCPQ-TV in Seattle aired a story about Pablik and his struggles with PTSD, when he was found 12 days later.

Reach Samantha Wohlfeil at Samantha.Wohlfeil@bellinghamherald.com.

Bellingham Herald is pleased to provide this opportunity to share information, experiences and observations about what's in the news. Some of the comments may be reprinted elsewhere in the site or in the newspaper. We encourage lively, open debate on the issues of the day, and ask that you refrain from profanity, hate speech, personal comments and remarks that are off point. Thank you for taking the time to offer your thoughts.

Commenting FAQs | Terms of Service