NOOKSACK — A fire in the floor of a mobile home displaced a family of five Friday evening, Feb. 7, north of Nooksack.
A breaker tripped around 4:45 p.m. at the home in the 8800 block of Nooksack Road, shutting off the power — not unusual for that house, but then they noticed smoke and flames coming from beneath the residence, said Whatcom County Fire District 1 Chief Mel Blankers.
Firefighters found a small fire, maybe a square foot, beneath the floor. They sprayed some water on it and quickly put it out. An investigator with the county fire marshal's office was called in to examine the wiring in the home.
Because of potential electrical problems, the family of five can't live there until a thorough inspection's done, Blankers said.
Friends offered to help them out in the meantime; they declined help from the Red Cross.