Small fire under floor displaces family north of Nooksack

Posted by CALEB HUTTON on February 7, 2014 

NOOKSACK — A fire in the floor of a mobile home displaced a family of five Friday evening, Feb. 7, north of Nooksack.

A breaker tripped around 4:45 p.m. at the home in the 8800 block of Nooksack Road, shutting off the power — not unusual for that house, but then they noticed smoke and flames coming from beneath the residence, said Whatcom County Fire District 1 Chief Mel Blankers.

Firefighters found a small fire, maybe a square foot, beneath the floor. They sprayed some water on it and quickly put it out. An investigator with the county fire marshal's office was called in to examine the wiring in the home.

Because of potential electrical problems, the family of five can't live there until a thorough inspection's done, Blankers said.

Friends offered to help them out in the meantime; they declined help from the Red Cross.


View Larger Map

Bellingham Herald is pleased to provide this opportunity to share information, experiences and observations about what's in the news. Some of the comments may be reprinted elsewhere in the site or in the newspaper. We encourage lively, open debate on the issues of the day, and ask that you refrain from profanity, hate speech, personal comments and remarks that are off point. Thank you for taking the time to offer your thoughts.

Commenting FAQs | Terms of Service