Frozen fire hydrants delay extinguishing of Sandy Point fire

THE BELLINGHAM HERALDFebruary 7, 2014 

Frozen fire hydrants made it difficult for firefighters to put out a blaze that engulfed a small field and a shed Thursday afternoon, Feb. 6, on Sandy Point.

What was described as a 300-square-foot grass fire in a field along Salt Spring Drive about 5 p.m. ended up buring between three and four acres of land, Whatcom County Fire District 17 Chief Jim Petrie said. The fire took three and a half hours to extinguish.

"It was so cold and dry that we had a couple of frozen fire hydrants," Petrie said.

The fire was contained within the field about 6 p.m., Petrie said.

Whatcom County Fire Inspector Mitch Nolze said the fire was exacerbated by unusually dry conditions and high winds. There was no damage to surrounding buildings, he said.

The fire is believed to have been caused by fireplace ashes that were not properly disposed of, Nolze said.

Reach James Kozanitis at 360-715-2249 or james.kozanitis@bellinghamherald.com.

Bellingham Herald is pleased to provide this opportunity to share information, experiences and observations about what's in the news. Some of the comments may be reprinted elsewhere in the site or in the newspaper. We encourage lively, open debate on the issues of the day, and ask that you refrain from profanity, hate speech, personal comments and remarks that are off point. Thank you for taking the time to offer your thoughts.

Commenting FAQs | Terms of Service