BIRCH BAY - Public health officials have closed the beach near where Terrell Creek empties into the south end of Birch Bay because of unsafe fecal coliform levels.
The closure began Friday, Jan. 31. A red sign has been posted to alert people at the beach.
Fecal coliform bacteria come from human and animal feces.
People are being told to stay away from the contaminated water because contact could cause gastroenteritis, skin rashes, upper-respiratory infections, and other illnesses, according to the announcement from the Washington state Department of Ecology's BEACH Program.
Children and the elderly may be more vulnerable to waterborne illnesses.
Reach Kie Relyea at 360-715-2234 or email@example.com .