Lynden condo fire displaces elderly couple

Posted by CALEB HUTTON on January 15, 2014 

LYNDEN — A forgotten pot on a stove caused a fire that displaced an elderly couple from their condo Wednesday afternoon, Jan. 15, said Lynden Fire Chief Gary Baar.

Around noon a woman living at 1680 Liberty St. put a pot on the stove and left to talk with her husband, Baar said. It wasn't immediately clear how long she was gone.

Neighbors reported thick, dark smoke coming from the eaves of a top-floor unit at 12:44 p.m. The condo building has six residences.

"So we were thinking we'd be looking for new homes for six families," Baar said.

But firefighters found the source of the fire within 11 minutes of dispatch. Flames had spread into the cabinets and attic space, causing smoke, heat and flame damage, mostly to the kitchen.

No one was harmed. Still, the home will need basic repairs before it's livable again. So the couple planned to spend the night elsewhere. Family in the area had offered to help, Baar said.

A unit below took no water damage, firefighters said.

An exact damage estimate wasn't available, but it's expected to be several thousand dollars.


View Larger Map

Bellingham Herald is pleased to provide this opportunity to share information, experiences and observations about what's in the news. Some of the comments may be reprinted elsewhere in the site or in the newspaper. We encourage lively, open debate on the issues of the day, and ask that you refrain from profanity, hate speech, personal comments and remarks that are off point. Thank you for taking the time to offer your thoughts.

Commenting FAQs | Terms of Service