An East Pole Road building containing an apartment, several vehicles and a workshop was destroyed Tuesday afternoon, Dec. 24, in a fire.
A few people were treated at the scene for smoke inhalation, but none were harmed enough to require a trip to the hospital.
The fire was reported just after 2:30 p.m. at 499 E. Pole, south of Lynden. Firefighters from multiple agencies responded to limit the fire to a metal-sided building, roughly 30 feet by 60 feet, and keep it from spreading to nearby buildings. A section of Pole Road was shut down so firefighters could safely stretch a water line across it to help battle the flames.
It took about 45 minutes to put out the fire. Whatcom County Fire Marshal Will Anderson traced the fire's starting point to a 1987 Winnebago that was plugged into the building's electricity as it was parked inside it. The power converter apparently overheated, sparking the fire.
Damage, including the building and contents, was estimated at $500,000.