Fire destroys East Pole Road building

THE BELLINGHAM HERALDDecember 24, 2013 

An East Pole Road building containing an apartment, several vehicles and a workshop was destroyed Tuesday afternoon, Dec. 24, in a fire.

A few people were treated at the scene for smoke inhalation, but none were harmed enough to require a trip to the hospital.

The fire was reported just after 2:30 p.m. at 499 E. Pole, south of Lynden. Firefighters from multiple agencies responded to limit the fire to a metal-sided building, roughly 30 feet by 60 feet, and keep it from spreading to nearby buildings. A section of Pole Road was shut down so firefighters could safely stretch a water line across it to help battle the flames.

It took about 45 minutes to put out the fire. Whatcom County Fire Marshal Will Anderson traced the fire's starting point to a 1987 Winnebago that was plugged into the building's electricity as it was parked inside it. The power converter apparently overheated, sparking the fire.

Damage, including the building and contents, was estimated at $500,000.

Bellingham Herald is pleased to provide this opportunity to share information, experiences and observations about what's in the news. Some of the comments may be reprinted elsewhere in the site or in the newspaper. We encourage lively, open debate on the issues of the day, and ask that you refrain from profanity, hate speech, personal comments and remarks that are off point. Thank you for taking the time to offer your thoughts.

Commenting FAQs | Terms of Service