BELLINGHAM - Soon, marijuana shops could be sprouting in Glacier, Blaine and Ferndale, adding to a growing list of business applications for state-approved sales.
Fourteen businesses have handed in paperwork to open retail pot stores in Whatcom County since Dec. 10, according to records released this week by the state Liquor Control Board.
Ten stores had applied in the three weeks prior. Another retailer, the Alger Grass Station, would be a couple miles south of the Whatcom-Skagit county line.
For consumers, it looks like Bellingham will be the county's bud hub: Three more stores applied to open on Meridian Street, for example, and two applied for spaces on C Street, by the waterfront.
But a lot of businesses could be put on hold. Standards set by the Liquor Control Board mean six stores can open in Bellingham city limits in the coming year. Fifteen stores have applied. The lucky six will need to pass state and local standards, and then be selected in a lottery.
The state has allowed medical use of pot since 1998, and the passage of state Initiative 502 last year allowed the sale of marijuana to adults for recreational use at licensed stores, which are expected to open by late next spring.
Here's a full list of stores that applied in the past week.
- Bellinghamsterdam, 1000 C St., Bellingham. (First location.)
- Bellinghamsterdam, 4326 Pacific Highway, Bellingham. (Second location.)
- Buds SOS, 6061 Portal Way, Ferndale.
- Chuckanut Recreational, LLC, 1215 N. Lake Samish Drive, Suite B, near Lake Samish.
- East 542 Cannabis, 10211 Old Mount Baker Highway, Glacier.
- Good Life Cannabis, LLC, 1474 James St., Bellingham.
- Happy Cloud's, 870 E. Pole Road, Lynden.
- Hemp House, 1108 C St., Bellingham.
- JWC Enterprises, LLC, 2119 Lincoln St., Bellingham.
- Mandeep Kaur, 4564 Meridian St., Bellingham.
- Pain Management Clinic, 479 12th St., Blaine.
- Sunshine Cannibis (sic) Supply, LLC, 4010 Meridian St., Bellingham.
- Top Shelf, 4581 Rural Ave., Marietta area.
- The Treehouse, 4208 Meridian St., Bellingham.
The application deadline is 5 p.m. Friday, Dec. 20.