A family of 12 was forced from their Peaceful Valley home Saturday morning, Dec. 7, when an electrical fire quickly spread from the kitchen to a bedroom and part of the attic, leaving the house temporarily unlivable, according to fire officials.
It appeared the modified doublewide mobile home caught on fire when the family turned on their stove and an electrical wire in the wall behind the range shorted, Fire District No. 14 Chief Jerry DeBruin said. The short apparently sparked flames, which spread through a thick wall between the kitchen and a bedroom, damaging personal belongings and reaching part of the attic, he said.
Two adults and 10 children safely evacuated the 8328 Golden Valley Blvd. home and were not injured, DeBruin said.
The house was left with a fair amount of fire, smoke and water damage, DeBruin said.
Because the wall where the fire started was thicker than normal, firefighters had to cut into the structure more than they had hoped to extinguish the flames, DeBruin said. It took about 20 minutes to put out the fire and clear heavy smoke from the home.
"We're glad we got here when we did and were able to stop it," DeBruin said. "If it had been there a little longer it would've gotten in to the attic and we could've lost more of the house. Hopefully they'll be back in there before too long."
The Mt. Baker chapter of the Red Cross was called to assist the family with temporary housing and supplies.
Reach Samantha Wohlfeil at 360-756-2803 or firstname.lastname@example.org.