Man still in coma after being knocked unconscious in downtown Bellingham

THE BELLINGHAM HERALDNovember 25, 2013 

BELLINGHAM - A man remained in a medically induced coma Monday, Nov. 25, after passers-by found him unconscious - likely beaten - in downtown Bellingham this weekend, according to police.

Two detectives assigned to the case turned up few new leads in the mysterious case of a 43-year-old man found at 12:14 a.m. Saturday on the sidewalk in the 100 block of East Holly Street, said Bellingham Police Sgt. Jason Monson.

No video footage from a nearby convenience store showed the man getting knocked out, and nobody has reported they actually saw the man being attacked.

But he had a cut to his forehead, possibly from a blow, and he had clearly hit the back of his head on the sidewalk hard enough to cause serious injury, Monson said.

He is being treated at St. Joseph hospital.

Some people had seen the man downtown acting "belligerent" about an hour beforehand, according to police. It's possible he was hurt in a fight somewhere else and didn't pass out until later, Monson said.

In the past the man had been listed as transient, living in Bellingham. He has recent ties to Tukwila. Police did not release his name.

Police hope more witnesses will come forward. Tips should be directed to Detective Tawsha Dykstra at 360-778-8664.

Bellingham Herald is pleased to provide this opportunity to share information, experiences and observations about what's in the news. Some of the comments may be reprinted elsewhere in the site or in the newspaper. We encourage lively, open debate on the issues of the day, and ask that you refrain from profanity, hate speech, personal comments and remarks that are off point. Thank you for taking the time to offer your thoughts.

Commenting FAQs | Terms of Service