Whatcom County organizations and restaurants step up each year to offer free community meals for Thanksgiving. Donations are welcome at most of the events.
Wednesday, Nov. 27
- The Salvation Army, 2912 Northwest Ave., Bellingham, is hosting a turkey dinner open to everyone at 5 p.m. People are asked to RSVP by calling 360-733-1410.
- Old Town Cafe, 316 W. Holly St., Bellingham, serves its 41st annual free Thanksgiving dinner for everyone from 10 a.m. to 3 p.m. The event includes live entertainment throughout the meal.
- American Legion Family Post 86 will serve a free community Thanksgiving feast with a traditional menu from 11 a.m. to 4 p.m. at Blaine Senior Center, 763 G. St. The event is open to everyone. The senior center will be open for the meal, but not for center activities.
- Five Columns Restaurant, 1301 E. Maple St., Bellingham, offers traditional Thanksgiving dinner with all the trimmings served free to people 65 and over from noon to 2 p.m. Restaurant open noon to 8 p.m. for the Thanksgiving meal or its regular dinner menu at usual prices. Call 360-676-9900 for reservations.
- Good Burger's sixth annual Thanksgiving dinner will be at Lee's Drive-In at James and Alabama streets in Bellingham. Traditional Thanksgiving meal served noon to 3 p.m. (Despite the name, Lee's has lots of indoor seating).
- United Church of Ferndale, 2034 Washington St., provides free turkey dinner with all the trimmings at noon. All are welcome.
- The Ground Floor, on the first floor of The Majestic, 1027 N. Forest St., Bellingham, is offering a space from 4 to 6 p.m. for students and community members who need a place to dine together. They hope to serve at least 35 people but can accommodate up to 100. Donation of $3 requested, but no one will be turned away. Bring a dish to share if you can.
Friday, Nov. 29
- Lighthouse Mission's free community meal will be held noon to 2 p.m. at Assumption Catholic Church gym, 2116 Cornwall Ave. Usually about 500 people are served.
For additions to this list, email the information to firstname.lastname@example.org.