Police: Unknown suspect hits, leaves man unconscious in downtown Bellingham

THE BELLINGHAM HERALDNovember 23, 2013 

A 43-year-old man was taken to St. Joseph hospital for surgery early Saturday, Nov. 23, after an unknown person knocked him unconscious in front of a downtown convenience store, according to police.

MATT MCDONALD — THE BELLINGHAM HERALD

BELLINGHAM - A 43-year-old man was taken to St. Joseph hospital for surgery early Saturday, Nov. 23, after an unknown person knocked him unconscious in front of a downtown convenience store, according to police.

An unknown suspect hit the man, causing him to fall and hit his head on the sidewalk at around 12:15 a.m. in the 100 block of Holly Street, Bellingham Police Sgt. Ken Brown said. When officers arrived, the man was unconscious, Brown said.

The man went into surgery for a head injury, and police had not spoken with him, nor did they know his condition as of Saturday afternoon, Brown said.

Though there were many people around at the time, only one person would acknowledge having seen anything, Brown said. Detectives are working with surveillance video from businesses in the area to investigate the incident, he said.

The man had recently come to Bellingham from Tukwila, according to relatives, and had previously been listed as a transient in Bellingham, Brown said. His housing status as of Saturday was unknown.

Bellingham Herald is pleased to provide this opportunity to share information, experiences and observations about what's in the news. Some of the comments may be reprinted elsewhere in the site or in the newspaper. We encourage lively, open debate on the issues of the day, and ask that you refrain from profanity, hate speech, personal comments and remarks that are off point. Thank you for taking the time to offer your thoughts.

Commenting FAQs | Terms of Service