'Suspicious' fire in WWU dorm bathroom still under investigation

Posted by CALEB HUTTON on November 15, 2013 

BELLINGHAM — A dozen Western Washington University students could be staying in a motel for up to three weeks after a "suspicious" fire in a dorm bathroom.

A burning towel on the second floor of Ridgeway Gamma's Stack 9 prompted fire engines to rush to the dorm around 4 p.m. Thursday, Nov. 14. Sprinklers put out the flames before firefighters arrived, but likely caused thousands of dollars in water damage.

At least two male residents were home at the time of the fire, said Bellingham Fire Marshal Jason Napier. Exactly how the towel caught fire remained under investigation. University police are assisting.

"A towel burned in a bathroom," remarked Paul Cocke, university spokesman. "That's kind of unusual."

Sixteen college students live in the affected dorms. Four of them chose to stay, because their rooms only need minor repairs. For the others, it could be two or three weeks before they can move back in, Cocke said. In the meantime they've taken up the university's offer of a motel room near downtown Bellingham.

Investigators may release more info next week after further interviews with witnesses, Napier said.

An exact damage estimate wasn't available Friday.


View Larger Map

Bellingham Herald is pleased to provide this opportunity to share information, experiences and observations about what's in the news. Some of the comments may be reprinted elsewhere in the site or in the newspaper. We encourage lively, open debate on the issues of the day, and ask that you refrain from profanity, hate speech, personal comments and remarks that are off point. Thank you for taking the time to offer your thoughts.

Commenting FAQs | Terms of Service

Top Jobs

View All Top Jobs

Find a Home

$445,000 Bellingham
3 bed, 1.00 full bath. South Hill Classic Craftsman Bungalow...

Find a Car

Search New Cars