Bellingham girl, 10, admits she made up abduction attempt story

THE BELLINGHAM HERALDNovember 13, 2013 

BELLINGHAM - A 10-year-old Bellingham girl has admitted she made up a story about a man who tried to abduct her at gunpoint.

The girl told police she was walking in the 2300 block of Utter Street, near Columbia Elementary School, about 1:45 p.m. Saturday, Nov. 9, when a man driving a muddy, forest green four-door car rolled up alongside her. She claimed he pulled out a gun - or what she assumed to be gun - from under his sweatshirt, and told her to get in the car.

She ran to her home, near the elementary school, and told the story to her mother. Her mother relayed the story to police, and police relayed the story to the public in a media release, complete with a description of a tan man in dark sunglasses with scratches on his arms.

On Tuesday afternoon, Nov. 12, police interviewed the girl again. She confessed the failed abduction had been made up. Lt. Rick Sucee said he didn't know why the girl would invent the story.

Police don't plan to pursue charges of false reporting. Any punishment, Sucee said, would be between the parent and the child.

Reach Caleb Hutton at 360-715-2276 or caleb.hutton@bellinghamherald.com. Read his Dispatcher Blog at bellinghamherald.com/dispatcher-blog or follow him on Twitter at @bhamcrime.

Bellingham Herald is pleased to provide this opportunity to share information, experiences and observations about what's in the news. Some of the comments may be reprinted elsewhere in the site or in the newspaper. We encourage lively, open debate on the issues of the day, and ask that you refrain from profanity, hate speech, personal comments and remarks that are off point. Thank you for taking the time to offer your thoughts.

Commenting FAQs | Terms of Service