WWU students create toys from discarded materials

THE BELLINGHAM HERALDNovember 1, 2013 

BELLINGHAM - Downtown store Ideal is diplaying and selling a collection of children's toys that local students created from reclaimed and recycled materials.

Students from Western Washington University's industrial design program produced the toys as part of the 12th annual ReMade project.

ReMade is an annual design challenge that asks students to turn industrial waste items into commercial products. Each student comes up with a prototype, then makes a small production run of at least 20 products to be sold in a retail venue, all within a matter of weeks.

This year's designers started planning their toys on Sept. 25, the first day of fall quarter, and finished their products within five weeks, said Arunas Oslapas, industrial design program coordinator and associate professor.

This is the sixth year Ideal has worked with the program to sell student designs, said co-owner Lisa Van Doren. The shop at 1227 Cornwall Ave. will showcase the designs through Nov. 15.

Students will get to keep 70 percent of the sales, and the other 30 percent will go to Ideal as commission.

Reach Samantha Wohlfeil at 360-756-2803 or samantha.wohlfeil@bellinghamherald.com.

Bellingham Herald is pleased to provide this opportunity to share information, experiences and observations about what's in the news. Some of the comments may be reprinted elsewhere in the site or in the newspaper. We encourage lively, open debate on the issues of the day, and ask that you refrain from profanity, hate speech, personal comments and remarks that are off point. Thank you for taking the time to offer your thoughts.

Commenting FAQs | Terms of Service