Lyncs overcome rough second quarter to best Friday Harbor 27-20


The Lynden Christian football team defeated Friday Harbor 27-20 on Thursday, Oct. 31, at Friday Harbor in a Northwest Conference Class 1A matchup.

The Lyncs opened the game with a strong first quarter, getting on the board with a 1-yard run by Josh Hornstra. Trevor Kamena added a 30-yard field goal before the end of the first to give Lynden Christian a 9-0 lead entering the second.

The second half, though, is where the wheels began to come off for the Lyncs, as Friday Harbor reeled off 20 unanswered points to take a 20-9 lead. As the half was nearing a close, Zach Roetcisoender returned a kickoff to Friday Harbor's 10-yard line, setting up another Kamena field goal before time expired.

"He really played well," Lynden Christian coach Galen Kaemingk said of Roetcisoender.

Friday Harbor started the second half with the ball, but Lynden Christian's defense forced a punt that would inevitably be blocked and pushed out of the back of the end zone for a safety. Roetcisoender again received the punt and put the Lyncs in good field position, setting up a 35-yard touchdown pass from Lucas Roetcisoender to Alex Vander Velden. Friday Harbor blocked the extra point for the second time, keeping the game at a 20-20 tie.

As was the case throughout much of the second half, though, the Lyncs' defense held Friday Harbor at bay in the ensuing possession.

"I tell you what, that second half we played great defense," Kaemingk said. "They didn't score."

Lynden Christian answered back with a 10-yard touchdown connection between Lucas Roetcisoender and his cousin, Zach Roetcisoender, giving the Lyncs a 27-20 lead.

The Lyncs' defense again stymied Friday Harbor's offense, forcing a punt that would lead to Lynden Christian's offense running out the final seven minutes of the game.

"They punted to us, and our offense did a great job of chewing up the clock," Kaemingk said.

In fitting fashion, the defense intercepted a last-ditch toss by Friday Harbor to seal the win.

"The coaches made a few adjustments, and the defense was outstanding," Kaemingk said. "Coming into the half, my main message was, 'Hey we got a whole half to play. We got to stay together on this field.'"

Bellingham Herald is pleased to provide this opportunity to share information, experiences and observations about what's in the news. Some of the comments may be reprinted elsewhere in the site or in the newspaper. We encourage lively, open debate on the issues of the day, and ask that you refrain from profanity, hate speech, personal comments and remarks that are off point. Thank you for taking the time to offer your thoughts.

Commenting FAQs | Terms of Service