Couple, dog escape mobile home fire north of Ferndale

THE BELLINGHAM HERALDSeptember 27, 2013 

FERNDALE - An unattended candle likely ignited a fire in a doublewide mobile home that displaced a married couple early Friday, Sept. 27, north of Ferndale.

Smoke alerted the couple - a man in his 50s and a woman in her 40s - to a fire in the hallway bathroom of the home, 2985 Brown Road. They called for help at 1:55 a.m. and tried to extinguish the flames with a garden hose, said Fire District 7 Chief Gary Russell.

Three fire engines and 25 firefighters responded to the scene. By then the residents and their dog had evacuated. They weren't hurt.

Some flames swept behind the walls and into the ceiling; most were contained to the bathroom. It took firefighters about five minutes to get the fire under control. No windows got blown out, and the exterior walls remained intact.

"If you look from the outside, it doesn't look like there's anything wrong," Russell said.

But interior damage from smoke and heat probably will leave the 1970s-model mobile home uninhabitable, the fire chief added. Cleanup efforts lasted until 4 a.m.

Firefighters found out a candle had been left burning in the bathroom. It's not clear how, exactly, the flame spread.

Volunteers with the Mt. Baker Chapter of the American Red Cross are helping the residents find long-term housing. In the meantime they've been offered a hotel room, food and clothes.

Reach Caleb Hutton at 360-715-2276 or Read his Dispatcher Blog at or follow him on Twitter at @bhamcrime.

Bellingham Herald is pleased to provide this opportunity to share information, experiences and observations about what's in the news. Some of the comments may be reprinted elsewhere in the site or in the newspaper. We encourage lively, open debate on the issues of the day, and ask that you refrain from profanity, hate speech, personal comments and remarks that are off point. Thank you for taking the time to offer your thoughts.

Commenting FAQs | Terms of Service