Bellingham Fire Department extinguishes two unrelated fires late Saturday evening

THE BELLINGHAM HERALDJuly 14, 2013 

BELLINGHAM - The Bellingham Fire Department extinguished two unrelated fires overnight Saturday, July 13, at a home and business in Bellingham, according to a press release.

The first fire was reported at 10 p.m. in a detached garage next to a home on the 2600 block of Lynn Street near Squalicum Creek Park. Firefighters from Bellingham Fire Department and Fire District 8 contained the fire, which was likely caused by an overloaded extension cord. No one was injured and damage was limited to one wall of the garage and a vehicle inside.

The second fire was reported at 4 a.m. Sunday morning, July 14, in the kitchen of the Econo Lodge motel, 3750 Meridian St. The fire, caused by the storage of a plastic cereal container on an electric range burner in the "on" position, was contained by the automatic sprinkler system. The motel remains in operation despite minor damage from the fire, smoke and water from the sprinkler system. Occupants were alerted by the alarm system and evacuated the motel; no one was injured.

"Automatic fire alarm and suppression systems provide early notification and work to control and contain fires providing time for evacuation and minimizing damage to structures," said Bellingham Fire Department Battalion Chief Ron Morehouse in a press release.

Bellingham Herald is pleased to provide this opportunity to share information, experiences and observations about what's in the news. Some of the comments may be reprinted elsewhere in the site or in the newspaper. We encourage lively, open debate on the issues of the day, and ask that you refrain from profanity, hate speech, personal comments and remarks that are off point. Thank you for taking the time to offer your thoughts.

Commenting FAQs | Terms of Service