Bellingham Maritime Museum gets new lease on life

THE BELLINGHAM HERALDMay 7, 2013 

Bellingham International Maritime Museum

Mike Granat, executive director of the Bellingham International Maritime Museum, sits atop a Patrol Air Cushion Vehicle or PACV, that was used in the 1968 Tet Offensive during the Vietnam War, in this 2005 photo.

THE BELLINGHAM HERALD

BELLINGHAM - The Bellingham Maritime Museum has struck a lease deal with the Port of Bellingham that will allow the museum to survive and keep the most important items in its boat collection, museum director Mike Granat said Tuesday, May 7.

Port commissioners unanimously approved a one-year lease for the museum at its present location in a port-owned warehouse at 800 Cornwall Ave. The lease entitles the museum to 6,000 square feet of space in the warehouse at $1,500 per month.

The 6,000-square-foot space is a fraction of the approximately 25,000 square feet that the museum had been using, but Granat said he and his volunteers will be able to make it work. There will be enough space to keep the museum's proudest possessions: a PBR vessel built in Bellingham by United Boat Builders, and a PACV Hovercraft believed to be the only one of its kind still in existence. Both vessels survived river combat during the Vietnam War.

In March 2013, Granat had said the museum might be forced to close because its existing lease with the port covered only 3,000 square feet, and port staffers and commissioners said the museum could not go on using the 25,000 square feet it had gradually encroached upon over several years.

Up to that point, the museum had been paying $750 per month for the 3,000 square feet, on a month-to-month basis. The new lease has a one-year term and a one-year renewal option.

Granat said he has already found new homes for some of the other vessels in the museum's collection, to enable what's left to fit inside they space they are paying for.

When news of the museum's financial difficulties got publicity in March, new donors stepped forward to help, and that enabled the museum to afford the new deal with the port, Granat said. He credited museum board member Tim Douglas, a former Bellingham mayor, with a major role in keeping the museum afloat.

"It's a very positive thing that we've worked on for 10 years," Granat said. "Now we're going into the second chapter."

Reach John Stark at 360-715-2274 or john.stark@bellinghamherald.com. Read his politics blog at blogs.bellinghamherald.com/politics or follow him on Twitter at @bhamheraldpolitics.

Bellingham Herald is pleased to provide this opportunity to share information, experiences and observations about what's in the news. Some of the comments may be reprinted elsewhere in the site or in the newspaper. We encourage lively, open debate on the issues of the day, and ask that you refrain from profanity, hate speech, personal comments and remarks that are off point. Thank you for taking the time to offer your thoughts.

Commenting FAQs | Terms of Service