I had a little maze game when I was little that I loved, because unlike ball bearings or the usual kinds of things that moved around mazes, it was so quick and mutable, so fascinating. One day, I broke it open to see what that material was. Luckily, my mother was in the room, and swept it away quickly, scrubbing us both, and depositing the toy into several layers of plastic bags and into the trash. This was 1975, the year G-P was dumping mercury into the soil here in Bellingham in the era of Minamata. My first lesson in toxic toys stuck with me, which is why I support the passage of House Bill 1294, the Toxic Free Kids and Families Act.
This bill bans harmful flame retardants in products like bedding, car seats, and changing table pads. As a mother myself now, I am very concerned about chemicals like TCEP and TDCPP, which increase cancer risk and have been linked to reproductive damage later in life. A little 2-year-old like my daughter is at risk of lifelong damage from these chemicals. There are safer alternatives. Please stand with me in urging our legislature to pass the Toxic Free Kids and Families Act. There's no good reason for kids to be exposed to harmful chemicals. Not then, not now, not ever.