DEMING - Two people are without a home after a fire destroyed the travel trailer they were living in Wednesday evening, Feb. 27.
Firefighters from Whatcom County Fire District 1 arrived to find the fifth-wheel trailer fully ablaze in the 5200 block of Marshall Hill Road, Chief Mel Blankers said.
The people who live in a house on the same property called about the fire just before 7 p.m. The residents weren't home when firefighters arrived.
With water-supply help from crews from District 14 and North Whatcom Fire and Rescue, firefighters were able to knock down the blaze in about 15 minutes, but the trailer was a total loss.
A wood stove had been installed in the trailer, and Blankers said the fire might have started where the chimney went through the trailer's roof.
The Mt. Baker Chapter of the American Red Cross was helping the residents with supplies and temporary housing.
Reach ZOE FRALEY at firstname.lastname@example.org or call 756-2803.