The "fiscal cliff" debacle was a show of government malpractice on a grand scale by Democrats and Republicans alike; in the legislative and the executive branches. I think there is a message that all Americans need to hear daily, like the Pledge of Allegiance. It goes like this:
1. The United States Constitution is still the official specification for the United States of America.
2. It is the binding contract between we the people and the U.S. government, to protect our rights and prevent tyranny and oppression.
3. The Constitution lists the specific services that we the people authorize the U.S. government to provide; nothing more, nothing less.
4. We the people agree to pay taxes to cover the cost of those specific services; nothing more, nothing less.
5. The Bill of Rights lists the 10 things that must always be observed, period.
6. The terms and conditions of the U.S. Constitution can only be changed through the amendment process.
7. Any regime that distorts or disregards the Constitution is untrustworthy and dangerous.
I submit that the majority of social and political problems in this country could be avoided if everyone understood and observed these seven points. The correction won't be easy; we're so far out of spec.
Keep these points in mind this month, as you watch our elected representatives take their oath of office to uphold and defend the Constitution.