Straddling the U.S.-Canada border at Blaine, the Peace Arch welcomes millions of travelers every year as they enter and exit Whatcom County.
A wooden arch was built over railroad tracks at the border in 1891, and Blaine built a temporary white arch over its main street in 1911 for a fair, but work on the 67-foot arch that symbolizes peace between the United States and Great Britain didn't begin until 1920.
Sam Hill, an industrialist and railroad builder, was the leading advocate for the arch, which was dedicated Sept. 6, 1921. The arch commemorates treaties that provided for an unguarded border between Canada and the United States.
Words on the U.S. side read "Children of a Common Mother;" on the Canadian side, "Brethren Dwelling Together in Unity." Within the arch are iron gates permanently held open.
In 1931, Canada and the United States set aside land that became the arch's border park that today provides the landscaped setting for picnics, celebrations, protests and art displays.
Reach DEAN KAHN at firstname.lastname@example.org or call 715-2291.