A mobile home northeast of the Deming Logging Show grounds was destroyed by fire Tuesday afternoon, Oct. 9, but no one was home at the time of the blaze.
The fire started at about 2:30 p.m. at a three-bedroom mobile home in the 6000 block of Roberts Road, said resident Scott Sires.
Sires and his boyfriend, Bobby Solomon, live at the home and were taking their dogs to Berthusen Park in Lynden when they got a call from a family member about the fire. Their roommate was out visiting with friends.
Firefighters from District 1 responded to the fire, though no one from the district could be reached Wednesday for information. Sires said firefighters told him the fire may have been caused by electrical issues and started in the living room. The home was destroyed, along with everything in it, he said, and one of the couple's cats is missing.
"Everything is gone," Sires said. "We have what we were wearing and our dogs."
The Mt. Baker Chapter of the American Red Cross is helping the residents with supplies and temporary housing, and a relative has set up a donation account at Whatcom Educational Credit Union for them. People can donate to the "Sires and Solomon donation fund" at any WECU location.