BELLINGHAM - Candidates for state office who would represent Whatcom County will participate in a forum Thursday, Oct. 4.
The forum is part of a series this election season hosted by the nonpartisan League of Women Voters. Doors open at 6 p.m. and the forum starts at 6:30 at Bellingham Municipal Court, 2014 C St.
Invited candidates are from contested seats in the 40th and 42nd legislative districts:
- 40th District representative, Position 1: Democrat and incumbent Kristine Lytton will make a statement and take questions from the audience. Her opponent, Brandon Robinson, is on the ballot but withdrew from the race and will not appear.
- 40th District representative, Position 2: Democrat and incumbent Jeff Morris; and Howard A. Pellett, Green Party.
- 40th District state senator: Democrat and incumbent Kevin Ranker; and John Swapp, who has listed his party preference as "Independent-GOP."
- 42nd District representative, Position 1: Republican and incumbent Jason Overstreet; and Democrat Natalie McClendon.
- 42nd District representative, Position 2: Republican and incumbent Vincent Buys; and Democrat Matthew Krogh.
The 40th District includes south Bellingham, Anacortes and San Juan County. The 42nd District is north Bellingham and most of Whatcom County.
Candidates will answer questions from the audience. The forum will be broadcast live on the city of Bellingham website, cob.org, and aired later on the city's television station, BTV10.
Reach RALPH SCHWARTZ at firstname.lastname@example.org or call 715-2289.