Whatcom County residents can learn how to prepare themselves and their families for emergencies during several free events hosted in October by the Mt. Baker Chapter of the American Red Cross.
Participants will learn to build an emergency kit and create a disaster plan, and receive tips about floods, house fires and earthquakes. Event locations are:
- Tuesday, Oct. 2. 6:30 to 7:30 p.m. Lynden Senior Center, 401 Grover St. Lynden Fire Department is co-hosting.
- Tuesday, Oct. 9. 7 p.m. Samish Neighborhood Association meeting, basement of Community Baptist Church, 810 Samish Way, Bellingham.
- Wednesday, Oct. 17. 7:30 to 8:30 p.m. Ten Mile Grange, 6958 Hannegan Road.
- Monday, Oct. 22. 6:30 to 7:30 p.m. Everson Fire Hall, 101 E. Main St. Whatcom County Fire District 1 is co-hosting.
- Monday, Oct. 22. 7 p.m. KendallWatch meeting, Kendall Elementary School library, 7547 Kendall Road.
- Friday, Oct. 26. 7:30 p.m. Haynie Grange, 3344 Haynie Road.
Reach KIE RELYEA at firstname.lastname@example.org or call 715-2234.