BLAINE - A man was injured and his home damaged after his medical oxygen caught fire and set the home ablaze Wednesday morning, July 18.
North Whatcom Fire and Rescue engines, command staff and Medic Four responded at about 11:30 a.m. and were able to quickly extinguish the fire in the modular home in the 8400 block of Willow Way, in a neighborhood off Birch Point Drive.
A 61-year-old man who lived in the home had oxygen tubes through his nose and ignited the fire when he lit a cigarette, said Division Chief John Swobody. He was taken to St. Joseph hospital with second-degree burns to his face and right arm, as well as smoke inhalation.
The man's name wasn't released due to privacy laws. The severity of his injuries was unclear.
The combination of open flame and oxygen can be incredibly dangerous, Swobody said.
"You shouldn't be smoking when you're near any oxygen," he said.
Reach ZOE FRALEY at firstname.lastname@example.org or call 756-2803.