KENDALL - Firefighters were able to extinguish a fire that started inside an enclosure for propane tanks next to Kendall Elementary School Wednesday afternoon, July 11.
Crews from Whatcom County Fire District 14 responded to the school after getting a call at about 3 p.m. that a fire was approaching 13 large propane tanks located just east of the school, Chief Jerry DeBruin said.
Fortunately, there wasn't enough heat in the area to cause any of the tanks to ignite, he said. Once crews arrived, they were able to quickly put out the blaze.
The fire, likely started by a tossed cigarette, burned a 50-foot-by-50-foot area of grass and brush, and it burned the plastic enclosure of the chain-link fence around the tanks.
Reach ZOE FRALEY at email@example.com or call 756-2803.