- Six Whatcom County high school students received $1,000 scholarships through Comcast Foundations' Leaders and Achievers Scholarship Program.
They are: Patricia Castrejon, Ferndale High; Brett Copher, Nooksack Valley High; Janice Liang, Sehome High; Kaitlyn Michaelson, Meridian High; Fraser Shindruk, Lynden High; and Emily Steelquist, Blaine High.
- Five Ferndale High School seniors received a total of $5,000 in college scholarships from Tenaska Washington Partners, L.P., owner of the Tenaska Ferndale Cogeneration Station.
The recipients: Tessa Benson, daughter of Jane and Jeff Benson; Emily Bunch, daughter of Kim and Jerry Bunch; Leah Burlingame, daughter of Annette and Chuck Burlingame; Lauren Erdman, daughter of Linda and Mark Erdman; and Mikaela Sulak, daughter of Heidi and Michael Sulak.
- Three Bellingham students, Clifford Davis, Rachel Hardin and Donald Wright, were honored by Montana State University, in Bozeman. Wright, with a 4.0 gpa, was named to the spring-semester President's Honor Roll. Davis and Hardin were named to the spring-semester Dean's Honor Roll.
- Angela Hess, a graduate of Sehome High School and a student at the University of Washington, has been selected by the Society of Chemical Industry, America Section, as an SCI Scholar for 2012. The program recognizes exceptional college sophomores and juniors majoring in chemistry or chemical engineering. In addition to a $1,000 prize, winners receive a 10-week summer internship at a major U.S. chemical company.
- Emily Brodie of Bellingham was named to Western Washington University's winter-term honor roll. A senior, Brodie had a 4.0 gpa.
- Erica Dochovski of Nooksack was named to the spring-semester Dean's List at Northwestern College, in Orange City, Iowa. Dochovski is a senior majoring in nursing.
Reach DEAN KAHN at firstname.lastname@example.org or call 715-2291.